Thursday, May 27, 2010

Cheesecake with Praline Sauce

I think Paula Deen should run for president!  She could solve all of the world's problems with her food. Who can fight when they are eating butter, cream cheese, sour cream?  She could make a pie and everyone would do exactly what she wanted!

I happened across her Cheesecake with Praline Sauce recipe and decided to make it yesterday.
I used walnuts instead of her pecans she calls for, only because I grabbed them out of the freezer first and they struck my fancy.  I also just dumped it on top of the cheesecake instead of letting it for everyone to ladle on. 

A few years ago, my spring form pan I used one time rusted.  I threw it out.  I was nervous about making something in it and it falling apart.  I recently got a new one, for recipes I keep seeing that I want to try.  I'm not sure why I was so nervous about it, it was very simple to use!  I will make things in it all of the time now.  I even saw an Italian Easter Pie (with meats) that you make in one. 

In any case, this cheesecake was simple, and very good.  I have to make the Hollywood Cheesecake I make again and compare them.  I make it in a regular pie shell because of my spring form nervousness.  Now I have to try it in the spring form pan. 

It's from The Lady and Sons Too cookbook. 


Cheesecake with Praline Sauce

Ingredients

Crust:

  • 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
  • 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) melted butter

Filling:

  • 3 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, at room temperature
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 5 eggs
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract

Topping:

  • 1 1/2 cups sour cream
  • 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Praline Sauce:

  • 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1 cup dark corn syrup
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
For the crust, stir together the graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and butter. Pat this mixture into the bottom and sides of a 9-inch spring form pan.
Make the filling: In a large bowl, beat together the cream cheese and granulated sugar. Beat in the eggs, 1 at a time, and then beat in the vanilla. Pour the filling into the crust and bake for 1 hour. Remove the cake from the oven and cool for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, make the topping: In a bowl, mix the sour cream, sugar, and vanilla until well blended. Spread this mixture over the warm cake and return to the oven for 4 minutes. Let the cake cool to room temperature in the pan, then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight. At serving time, use a table knife to loosen the cake from the pan. Remove the sides of the pan and place the cake on a platter, leaving it on pan bottom. To make the praline sauce, in a small heavy saucepan stir together the brown sugar and cornstarch. Stir in the corn syrup and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thick. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the nuts and vanilla. Cool slightly. Serve the cheesecake, passing the sauce in a bowl with a small ladle. Store any leftovers in the refrigerator.





No comments: