Saturday, September 25, 2010

♥ Mango Pulled Pork → Pressure Cooker Recipe!


Aart's pulled pork pic (I'm not a photographer! lol)

I love Food Network and, after cheering on Aarti on The Next Food Network Star, I am always excited to see her show recorded on my DVR (I record her series and watch it at my liesure).

She made this pulled pork a couple of weeks ago, and I decided to give it a shot....in the pressure cooker.  That way I don't have to cook it three hours and turn it every half hour. (It's the laziness coming out in me).  Here is the recipe her way (link below↓ )....my notes at the bottom will show you how I made changes to it. This recipe is to die for!  OMG its wonderful!

 Aarti's Pulled Pork with Mango BBQ Sauce  (link to her original recipe, and below the ingredients I used, similar with some minor changes, to make it in the pressure cooker.  If you don't have a pressure cooker, you can just follow her recipe directions.

Ingredients

  • 1 boneless pork shoulder (Boston butt), about 3 pounds, excess fat removed

Rub:

  • 6 tablespoons dark brown sugar
  • 3 tablespoon paprika
  • 2 teaspoons kosher salt

BBQ Sauce:

  • 1/4 cup  grapeseed oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
  • 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
  • 1 onion, finely minced
  • 2 tablespoons minced ginger
  • 1 serrano pepper, thinly sliced (seeds discarded if you don't like it spicy)
  • Kosher salt
  • 2 cups mango puree 
  • 1½-2 cup mango nectar (goya sells it in cans, you know I am not a fan of measuring)
  • 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
  • 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 6 tablespoons molasses
  • 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
  • Keiser Rolls
  • cole slaw or pickles, whatever ya like.

I prefer to avoid anything canned where possible, so I whirl mangos in my vitamix. 


Directions:


Mix the rub ingredients and massage the pork shoulder with it, working it into the shoulder a bit.  Set aside. Aarti said you can do this and refrigerate overnight and the flavors get even better..but no time for that here.  

In the pressure cooker add the first six ingredients and with the lid off, cook on rice setting about two minutes.  Add the mano nectar and the *puree'd mango*.  * (I could not find mango puree but I found mango frozen and just thawed it and  whirled it in my food processor). Add the lime juice, cider vinegary, molasses and Worcestershire sauce. Let it come up to a boil in the pressure cooker (the lid is still off).
Place the pork shoulder into the barbq sauce and turn it over..it should be just about submerged.

Now put the lid on.

Turn the pressure cooker back off and on again to the meat setting.  Set time for 60 minutes and walk away!  You are done until its time to pull it apart and slap together the sandwiches. I don't think I need to walk you through that, especially since the pressure cooker will have it so tender, it will fall apart when your fork touches it.
 

If you want to see Aarti in action....catch her on Sunday's on The Food Network.  She makes cooking fun, I adore her!


1 comment:

That's my story and I'm sticking to it, at least for now. said...

This is my new, "take to family fuctions" food. It's so fast and easy and the most delicious pulled pork I ever had in my life.
My family, two of our friends and my teenagers and their friends finished the whole 3 lb pork shoulder in no time. I am making it again today.