Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Coke Bottle Hummingbird Feeders (Pepsi, wine tequila, whatever ya got)

You can make your own hummingbird feeders very inexpensively  for less than 1.00 using a  cork stopper with a hummingbird tube in it. ( Below is where they are available for 10.94 for a pack of 12! and the link above takes ya there too )

Use up those CocaCola Bottles (or Pepsi if ya got em) and decorate the yard.  I love to have glass in my yard and have some blue Milagro Tequila bottles out there just for the color.  I also was given a tiny blue glass ball from a friend, and it looks so nice out there just sitting in a pot with some flowers.

The sky is the limit..they have screw on cap hummingbird feeder attachments if you have screw bottles you want to use.  There are links in My Favorite Things in the Garden section on my Amazon store to get parts to make them also.

Here are a few ideas I have come across.  I have some great feeders in my yard but had to make the coca cola bottle one, as coca cola is a reminder of my childhood, when they had the glass returnables.  (I am aware they have glass bottles now, but they are not as thick, or inexpensive)
This person made one with a bottle and a tube that drips. I would be refilling it constantly at my house and it would attact bees to the ground so I don't do this method, but its an option.  Just take a ice pick and punch a hole in the lid.  I am only posting it to show you ways to hang them in general.
You can paint up bottles if you are creative.  Its fun to paint flowers. As much wine as we have been going through here, I think I am going to do this as soon as I get more corks.  They would make great gifts for friends and family!

Hummies are also attracted to Red, Yellow and Blue trumpet type flowers, honeysuckle, petunias (they come to my pink petunias everyday, its how they found my feeder), hummingbird vine (I have it all over and can't kill it, there are places I want it gone and it comes back every year, its growing from under my house lol)
Don't forget that you can make your own nectar with just some simple house sugar and boiling water.  I posted this before..and you can see some of my hummingbirds in action on my blog posts..

http://margaritastewart.blogspot.com/2009/05/make-your-own-hummingbird-nectar.html

http://margaritastewart.blogspot.com/2009/05/newer-hummingbird-pics.html


Hummingbird Nectar Recipe

Directions for making safe hummingbird food:


Mix 1 part sugar with 4 parts water and bring to a boil to kill any bacteria or mold present.
Cool and fill feeder.
Extra sugar water may be stored in a refrigerator.
Red dye should not be added.
The hummies are attracted to the red flower on your feeder, not the color of the nectar.  I love the feeders with landings because they stay longer when they can sit to eat. 
As soon as I make my Tequila bottle hummy feeder, I will post pics.  I can't wait to make a ton of these things!  

 

8 comments:

Tanya said...

I really love your ideas. I'll be making some of these this spring if I can find some of those feeder tubes. I live in Revelstoke, BC where there isn't much for shopping. I guess I'll have to go south!!
Thanks for the ideas. Keep posting!

Talia said...

your feeders are very pretty and inspiring! I will be making some soon :)

Anonymous said...

Love your ideas and interest. I copied your recipe for hummingbird food. Then I went and looked at your pics. I noticed you added the red food dye. So, do we add it, or not?

Country Mouse said...

Wow...this is an awesome idea! I love Hummingbirds...they are my favorite along with Cardinals! I wonder if those tube feeders are available at hardware stores or WalMart..I will have to look.
I have 2 empty wine bottles in my kitchen..I couldn't throw them out because they were so pretty....now I know what to do with them! This is a project my daughter and I can share for sure!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it, at least for now. said...

Nope, no die. I get commercial nectar from time to time that comes with feeders I buy.
I don't use dye when I make it and they come to it..more so in fact, than to the colored stuff.

Chuck said...

Love your ideas-and have made several wine bottle feeders. But have encountered an issue with the feeder tubes that are shown. They have a problem leaking. Is there a way to correct this?
Chuck

That's my story and I'm sticking to it, at least for now. said...

Mine seem to drip too sometmes, but I just try to tilt them until I don't see them dripping anymore.

Anonymous said...

What type of tube are you using to wrap the bottles? Where do you find it?