Sunday, October 6, 2013

CREAMY CLAM CHOWDER ♥ I LOVE ROUX


Let's talk about measuring one more time...I don't do it. I add more of what I love and less of what I don't.  There is my cooking lesson for today.

I made a big batch of this, because my sister in law had surgery and I wanted to take her some and food doesn't leave my house easily unless there is plenty for everyone. You can half this batch if you have a four pack.

For the bacon, I just judge a cup, you all know I don't measure.  I just slice a quarter of the pack, while frozen, and put the whole pack back in the freezer for the next recipe)

bacon 
1 whole celery, diced (pack of celery, whatever ya wanna call it, 6-7 stalks))
2 onion, diced
8 cloves garlic 
6 fresh sprigs Thyme (about 1 T fresh  or 1 tsp dry)

2 ~ 51 oz cans clams
12 potatoes diced
1 T Old Bay

1 stick butter 
½ C flour (really I don't measure, who am I kidding, its a roux)
2 C milk 



bacon 
1 whole celery, diced (pack of celery, whatever ya wanna call it, 6-7 stalks))
2 onion, diced

 Saute bacon, celery and onion  in a soup pan (this is where you are making the soup, so make sure its big enough) until cooked, add garlic and thyme and cook another minute. Remove half and put into a frying pan. 


Add all of the juice from the cans of clams and 1 T old Bay. Add diced potatoes and bring to a boil, until potatoes are cooked. Add clams and cook another minute.


Make a roux...take the other half of the celery mixture that is sitting in a fry pan waiting...add butter and begin to saute.  When its melted and hot enough, add flour and cook, stirring constantly, scraping the pan or use a whisk, until the flour is cooked,   You will want to do this on lower heat so you don't burn the butter.  Add 1 C of the milk or cream or creamy milk..whatever ya got, we got raw thick full fat milk. whisk like crazy until thickened (okay, not really fast, just constant, but its a good arm workout if you wanna whisk like crazy. Add roux mixture to soup, add another cup milk and heat.  
 Salt and pepper to taste



Dammit, I failed to take a pic of the beautiful roux. I am no photographer..I just cook. If I think of a pic, I get one. 







No comments: