Sunday, October 13, 2013

Chili

Everyone has their own version, here is mine..basic, but adaptable to your own liking. Omit the hot peppers if you don't like it hot. Remember, I do not measure, so this is estimates of what I add...go more or less of anything you like, add what you like, omit what you don't.
This recipe makes a lot so I make  it in a big stock pot.

Chili 

5 jalapeno and hot peppers (I mixed varieties from my garden), chopped
4 green peppers chopped 
3-4 onions chopped 
3 lbs beef (I use organic)
4 slices bacon, diced (I use organic)
handful of Oregano
Cinnamon (pinch or two or three)
1 bulb garlic (yes, I used thew whole bulb), rough chopped

Fry this up in the stock pot, no need to dirty a fry pan. No oil, your beef will create its own.
When the beef is browned, add...

Approximately 20 tomatoes, seeded and skins removed (or use canned, diced and stewed, I do in the winter time, about 2 cans stewed tomatoes and 2 Large cans diced, with juices)
2 mugs water (i'm too lazy to grab my measuring cups)
3/4 C chili powder
1/4 c minced garlic (the dried type, we love garlic)
2 T celery seed
4 T paprika
1 T cumin
2 T cayenne pepper (more or less)
salt and fresh cracked pepper
simmer about two hours (more or less)

Add
2 cans black beans (normal size)
2 big cans kidney beans 
the amount doesn't matter, how many do you like, we like a lot you can use any type of beans you like

Cook another half hour

Serve with diced raw onions and cheese and Tabasco 








No comments: