Sunday, September 19, 2010

Tomato Tart and Homemade Pesto

Pin It


Its getting cold at night, and I was worried my basil might catch cold (frost) so I went out today and harvested a huge wad of it and made up a bunch of pesto to freeze so I have it for the winter.  I have an indoor plant or two, but I strip those bare often and run out.   I have about 30 of these cookie scoops of it (about 2 T each) that I froze.  I watered the basil and hope to get some more before the frost kills them.

I can't call it MY pesto recipe, but its the one I use.  It's very good.  (see below)

My Pesto looks as good as it tastes! My Kodak easy share has stood the test of time! 

I made a tomato pesto pasta for the teenagers that were here and then I made this tomato tart.  I've made it and posted it before, but I thought I would repost it.  If you haven't tried it yet, you are missing out! 


This is effortless...if you have the pesto made up, most of the work is done!   I snapped this pic right before I devoured it.
Not bad for my 6 year old camera!  One of these days I will get a new one.
Here is a picture of last year's post.
This tart is so easy and delicious, perfect for summer when the tomatoes are pushing like crazy. Its great for breakfast, a light dinner with wine, or a snack. I took the picture of my basil from my garden. Isn't it breathtaking! lol.


Before I start,
I have a Special note
to the

"HOMEMADE PIE CRUST SNOBS"


I CAN AND HAVE MADE MY OWN DELICIOUS PIE CRUSTS.....

quite frankly any moron can....but in a pinch, these prepared refrigerated one's are just as good and super handy to have around...and who has time for pie crust making, there is exercising to be done, don't forget, if you are going to eat the good things in life...ya better make damn sure you are working it off!

I have heard it before when someone sees I use the Pillsbury one's, "mine are better, I make them homemade" Bullshit, I tasted yours and its not any better...lol. And I make pies all of the time..how often are you rolling out pie crusts? And I exercise 5-7 times a week...raise my kids, homeschool, grow a big garden that supplies not only my family but extended family and friends, yard work, run a few yahoo cooking groups with over 5000 members, blog here and there and everywhere, and chat with my friends on facebook daily...should I go on? If you manage to do all those things and make your own pie crust all of the time, good for you!

So if you want to brag about how you make your own pie crust, big fat freakin' raspberries to ya...GET A LIFE!

I can make them too...but just feel there are more important things in life, and if Pillsbury wants to do the work for me...Thanks Pillsbury!

Now, on with the recipe

Tomato Tart

one roll of pie crust from
the Pillsbury refrigerated pie crust box
2 C Mozzarella Cheese
5 tomatoes

1/2 c Kraft Real Mayo
(its the brand I use, use what you prefer)

1/4 c parmesan cheese grated

2 T basil pesto

2-4 T chopped fresh basil (opt)

Unroll pie crust on a pizza stone and brush the outer edges with water, and fold over to make a pie or pizza crust look. Prick with a fork

Bake the pie crust at 450 degrees for 8-10 min. Sprinkle with ONE cup of the mozzerella cheese and let it set for 15 min on the counter or stove top. Meanwhile, lower oven temp to 375.

Arrange the tomato slices over the cheese. Stir together 1 cup mozzerella cheese, mayo, Parmesan cheese, and pesto. Spread it over the tomato slices.

Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 min. Remove from oven and sprinkle with basil to garnish. 



This is also good with Ricotta Cheese dolloped on top before the final baking! I made it again and added garlic..
 This is a pic of basil from my herb garden.
Basil Pesto
Yield
Makes 2 cups or 16 (2-tablespoon) cubes
Ingredients
4 cups loosely packed fresh basil leaves
6 garlic cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1 cup pine nuts, toasted  ( I use Walnuts and don't toast them)
1 cup olive oil  ( I use grapeseed oil)
Preparation
Process all ingredients in a food processor until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides. Spoon mixture into ice-cube trays, and freeze. Store cubes in freezer bags up to 6 months.
Pesto is great to have on hand for last minute hors d'oeuvres. It can stand alone as a dip and also works as a spread for pizzas and sandwiches.
Southern Living, SEPTEMBER 2003


Just a quick note:  I used my cookie scoop and put them onto wax paper on a tray and froze them.

  I just read that people make lemon balm and other herbed pestos.  I have tons of herbs to try out.  I have to get more Parmesan cheese first.  
These scoops are priceless.  I have a few, in different sizes.  Great for cookies or anything really. I use them to scoop cupcake batter into muffin tins, they are great for meat balls too.   

Here is a video of a gal making pesto. It's really easy and fast to make.

Episode 7: Heirloom Pesto -- powered by eHow.com






  

No comments: