Here are a few basic rum ball recipes. They are do easy to make and the sky is the limit on making them your own. Oreo cookies, nuts of your choice, add your favorites.
They travel to parties well in candy boxes you can buy at craft stores.
These cookies start out exactly like rum balls except you add 1 cup of Graham crumbs to the mixture. I used unsweetened chocolate, because the icing sugar and the Graham crumbs are already sweet. The first bite is bitter, but then the cookie is less so, which is a nice surprise.
1 cup icing sugar
1 cup finely ground almonds
3 squares [3 oz] unsweetened chocolate, melted
1/3 cup dark rum or your choice of hard liquor
1 tsp vanilla
unsweetened cocoa to roll into
• Line trays with waxed paper and set aside.
• Place a fry pan on low heat and add the chocolate.
• Stirring continuously, partially melt the chocolate.
• Remove from pan from heat and stir until chocolate is fully melted
• In a large bowl, combine the almonds and the icing sugar.
• Add the melted chocolate, the rum and vanilla.
• Add the Graham crumbs and stir to combine.
• Press together with clean hands.
• One by one roll mixture into 24 balls.
• Roll each ball into unsweetened cocoa and place on the prepared tray.
• Let rum ball cookies dry on the tray for 1 hour.
• Serve or place cookies in Tupperware containers until needed.
• Rum ball cookies freeze well.
You know those days when you really, really, really want a homemade cookie, but the thought of the mixing and the baking and the cooling and the cleaning up makes you reach for the box of supermarket cookies instead, when what you really wanted was the homemade deal? That is where these delectable little rum balls come in. They require exactly no oven, no cookie sheet, no baking, no cooling and about 15 minutes from “I think I want a cookie” to popping into your mouth.
Ironically, they do START with supermarket cookies –Nilla Wafers, to be precise. You’re going to pulverize about 2 cups of wafers to make about 1 3/4 cups of Nilla Wafer crumbs…this is best done in your food processor. Do the same thing with walnuts – about 3/4 cups to make 1/2 cup of finely ground walnuts. Now dump all of that into your stand mixer with some powdered sugar, some butter, some water and a little rum extract (which you can find in the baking aisle next to the vanilla extract). Let the mixer rip until you have a nice stiff dough.
Now roll the dough into little balls (about one inch across), and then roll the balls in a little powdered sugar until the are nice and coated. And that’s it – you’re done.
Seriously! Done. Homemade cookies. Ready for the eating. Sometimes the easiest things are also the most delicious!
1 large box vanilla wafers
3 TBS cocoa powder
3 TBS light corn syrup
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup rum
chocolate sprinkles (for rolling)
Process the vanilla wafers in a food processor until finely ground.Add the powdered sugar and cocoa powder and stir until combined. Add the corn syrup and rum and mix well. Chill if necessary and then shape into 1 inch balls. Roll the balls in the chocolate sprinkles. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.