Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Almond Blueberry/Cranberry Biscotti

I love this chick!



I love to watch the Food Network Show, "Secrets of a Restaurant Chef" with Anne Burrell. Not only is she fun and cute, but love the things she cooks! I record every episode so as not to miss a beat! I am a cookbook collector so I have to see if I can find one of her cookbooks.


She made an Almond Raisin Biscotti recently..and we love biscotti with coffee and tea, but it can be a bit pricey in the store, pre-made. She made it look so easy...so I printed out the recipe and went to town.


I made it quite a few times now, and had to revise the recipe a little bit, as I think there was a typo error on the second baking cooking time...10 min did not do the trick..it was more like 30.


In any case, it turned out so good, I have made it over and over again! We cannot get enough of it. I am not a fan of raisins..sure they are good, but a bit boring. On her show, she mentioned, any nut and any dried fruit will do. I use blueberries sometimes and cranberries other times. Quite a few people have asked me for the recipe, so i thought I would share it here...its Anne's recipe, I just revised it...like I always do..and you can revise it also. See http://www.foodtv.com/ for the orginal in tact version.


here is the recipe I used, with my revisions:


Biscolicious Biscotti
(she said biscolicious, loved it so I named the recipe that)


1 stick butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 orange or lemon, zested (she used orange, I did the first time but ran out of oranges so subbed lemon, same thing)
2 eggs, plus 1 egg white (egg white is for brushing loaf)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 t almond extract (my revision)
1 teaspoon baking powder
Pinch salt
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup chopped almonds (she used whole, that didn't slice up right for me)
1/2 cup dried fruit..I used blueberries and cranberries
1 tablespoon anise seeds
2 tablespoons turbinado sugar (I used regular sugar)


Cream the egg and butter until light and fluffy. Add the citrus zest and beat in two eggs, one at a time, and then beat in vanilla and almond extract.


Mix in baking powder, salt and flour. Once that is incorporated, mix in the nuts, fruits and anise seeds.


Divide the dough into 2 pieces. If the dough is sticky dust your hands with a little flour. Roll the dough into 2 logs the length of the sheet tray. Beat the egg white with 1 tablespoon of water in a small bowl. Brush the dough logs with the egg white and sprinkle with turbinado sugar. Bake in the preheated oven for about 35 minutes.


Let rest about 5 or 10 minutes (my revision, or it will fall apart if you don’t let it set up, found out the hard way, won't make that mistake again lol ) and then remove from the oven to a cutting board and slice on the bias with a serrated knife while they are still warm. Slicing while warm will prevent crumbling.


Lay the biscotti back on the sheet tray(s), cut sides down, and return to the oven for another 10 minutes (more like 25-30 more minutes, push on it with your finger, it should get crispy, and it will crisp alittle more when you let it cool).

Remove from the oven to a serving platter and serve with coffee or Vin Santo for dipping.

Biscotti tastes great the next day or even better two days later. It’s Biscolicious!

I now have a glass jar on my counter, just for biscotti..when it gets low, I bake more!

My friend Ildiko made this but she changed it up to be healthier (gluten free) and said it was very good.

She subbed coconut oil for the butter, used one egg and used Almond Flour in place of the flour. I will have to try that...she did not use almond extract she said.

Here is my Almond Cranberry Biscotti.

What's next Anne? I can't wait to try more of your recipes!

1 comment:

Laura said...

I, too am an Ann Burrell fan. Loved the modifications to her biscotti recipe. As I am making it as part of a Christmas gift I thought using cranberries a very festive exchange for the raisins. I don't know about you, but I have never met a recipe I haven't tweaked with my own personal touch anyway. Happy Baking and Happy Holidays!