Monday, January 24, 2011

Chicken and Corn Chowder (pressure cooker and stovetop directions)

Pin It


My mom always made this when I was growing up.  Love it.  My son said, I don't know what you are cooking mom, but it smells amazing.  I even got a status update on my "refrigerator facebook page" from one of the stray teenagers that comes over here....


I made this yesterday for the game (recipe below),  ...in my pressure cooker but the recipe IS for stove top.  I didn't have cream corn so I took corn and put it in the food processor for a few zaps with a tiny bit of milk.  It was really good.  I also added chicken thighs.
For the pressure cooker, cook chicken in water, for 35 mins, shred, add corn and veggies listed, cook 5 mins, then open and add the rivvels doubled the recipe, everyone wants the rivvels.. and eggs (I added extra hard boiled eggs, love it).  Turn onto veggie setting with just the glass lid on it, bring to a boil, and change it over to keep warm.

 I added about 5 cups of corn because I opened a giant restaurant can the day before and had to get rid of it.

My sisters and I were all sitting in my mom's kitchen and chatting about her old cookbook and my older sister said, she gets it when mom is gone because she is the oldest...I showed them, I went home and bought it on ebay for over 50 bucks..some of them were going as high as 200.00 for this edition.




Chicken and Corn Chowder
    From Betty Crocker 1960s cookbook
A Pennsylvania Dutch recipe obtained for us by Normal E Dewes.

neck, wings, back and giblets of hen
1½ qt boiling water
1 onion sliced
3 stalks of celery with leaves, finely chopped
1 carrot diced
1 T salt
1 can cream style corn
2 hard cooked eggs chopped fine
Egg Rivvels (recipe follows)

Place pieces of chicken in a large kettle with water, onion, celery, carrot and salt.  Cover and simmer until tender, about 1½ hours.  Slip meat from bones, cut up fine and return to broth.  Add corn and simmer 10 min.  Add eggs.  Drop egg rivvels into soup; simmer 10 min  (6 servings)

Egg Rivvels
Sift together 1 c sifted gold medal flour and ¼ tsp salt.  Mix in egg in with fork, until mixture looks like corn meal.  Drop spoonfuls  into hot soup.

PS  I never sift... I just use a whisk and  go thru the flour for a min with the whisk...it works the same as sifting.


3 comments:

Donnetta said...

LOVE the "refrigerator facebook page"!!!

Unknown said...

Hi, we just wanted to let you know that we featured you in our 101 Pressure Cooker Recipes list on our blog. We hope that this is ok. http://pressurecookeroutlet.blogspot.com/2011/02/101-pressure-cooker-meals.html

That's my story and I'm sticking to it, at least for now. said...

Thanks for letting me know! Glad you enjoyed it enough to include it!