Sunday, January 4, 2009

Creative Leftovers





I like to use leftovers as much as I can, but I know the kids aren't into having the same meal two or three days in a row. The other day, we had flounder with sweet potato fries. There were leftover sweet potato fries. I could have easily heated up my whole oven to re-heat them on a baking stone, and they would get the same texture as fresh, fried sweet potatoes but to save energy and to change it up a bit, I added a bit of butter to them, some cinnamon and sugar and nuked them in the microwave. Boy were they good. Not sure healthy, but healthier than french fries with regular potatoes.
Today we had home made personal pizzas. The boys had broccoli on theirs, among other things (mozz cheese, sauce, bacon, green peppers, mushrooms, parm cheese, oregano, garlic etc). The broccoli was leftover from dinner yesterday. Hubby had Pork on his, leftover from dinner yesterday, just shredded small...he also had more fixins on his too.
There are many ways to serve leftovers to make them more appealing to the family and not have to have the same meal the next day. Tomorrow we will have fish and chips for dinner. (Cod fish, and the chips will be sweet potato fries again, as I won't buy french fries). Then Tuesday we can have fish tacos for dinner because I will make more fish than we know what to do with. I have used leftovers to make twice baked potatoes and so many other goodies.


  

No comments: