Tuesday, December 2, 2008

My favorite storage jars



I don't like to use plastic containers for food so I buy Ball (Atlas, Kerr, Mason) canning jars and use them for everything. They are freezer safe, microwave safe and dishwasher safe.

I use them for food leftovers, they store in the freezer and refrigerator nicely. I use them for dry goods, like flour, chocolate chips, rice, etc.

I use them for candy jars, and have one or two in my living room with candy, almonds, or snacks in them for guests to munch on.

I make home made iced tea and simple syrup and have pre-sweetened iced tea in my refrigerator for guests to drink, in pint jars in the frige. When I use one, I just take off the lid, they can be drank out of and put right in the dishwasher.

When guests come for food, I send him leftovers in the jars, and don't mind, they are cheaper than those other brand containers and can be reused by the person who gets it. I think people are more inclined to reuse something glass than a plastic container, which get throw away more often.
I also save glass pickle jars etc, to give away leftovers too.

1 comment:

Eco Chick said...

This is the idea of the century and so "duh, why didn't I think of that". I have so many canning jars around and spaghetti sauce, pickle jars etc. Thanks a million, I am going to do this. My plastic containers are going out with the next company I sent food home with.