Thursday, October 7, 2010

CHILI ...Pressure Cooker Alert



Okay, here we go.  I am not a measurer.  I add, taste, add, taste.  

I made two bags of beans this morning in the pressure cooker. From dry to perfect in 20 mins.  

One pound venison meat 
(thanks Shawn Fromm for letting me help you empty out your freezer to make room for your newest deer, gotta love your hunter friends, keeping the roads safe).  
Add some green peppers, onions, hot peppers if you like (I like)  a bit of oil (its venison, if using beef, no need) and some fresh garlic. 




Turn the rice cooker (SORRY TYPO, this is Pressure Cooker!) to meat setting (it'll automatically go to 20 mins, you are not going to need to cook it this long) and brown  the meat, etc,  with the lid off.  Shut it off again when its browned enough....  

While its browning, I toss in this stuff...use what you like...
I used, granulated garlic, granulated onion (you can ever have enough), cayenne peppers, chili powder, basil, celery seed, cumin, oregano and yes nutmeg.  

  When the meat is browned, I add my tomato products...Whatever you have on hand..canned, fresh, no matter. I used canned crushed tomatoes (too lazy to run to the garden), tomato paste and tomato sauce and some water...oh,  and the beans that I pressure cooked this morning for it. 

Taste it, does it have enough spices?  

Add some Worcestershire sauce, kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper. 
Taste it, you like?  No?  Add more spices...get it how you like it. 

It needed more...so now I added some paprika, crushed red pepper, a dash of molasses, and a little bit of cocoa powder. 
Taste it, need anything?  Add it.  Little more of this, more of that. 


Put the lid on it, hit vegetable setting and cook for five minutes..it will be ready. 

See, perfect. 
I'm not a cheese on my chili kind of girl, I have it if you want it, but I'll pass...just gimme some diced raw onions please! 


There it is....Gotta go, time to eat! 

  

4 comments:

Inspiration CAN be found EVERYWHERE said...

Ok maybe I missed it but you did the beans in the pressure cooker and then made everything in a rice cooker?
Now I have to find a rice cooker ....

That's my story and I'm sticking to it, at least for now. said...

Sorry Kat!! I will fix that....it was in the pressure cooker!!! I have a rice cooker too and got the words mixed up.

Jenn Pants said...

Looks yummy. So why did you use cocoa powder?

That's my story and I'm sticking to it, at least for now. said...

I saw it in a Hershey's book once in their chili recipe and I tried it an loved it. It adds color and depth to it, and just a bit of flavor.