Saturday, September 5, 2009

CORN FRITTERS AND TENNIS


Pin It

These are my corn fritters. YUM


I was so hungry for junk food last evening so I went ahead and made these even though I was home alone, and would have to eat the whole batch by myself...kidding, I refrigerated them for the boys and hubby and toaster ovened them back to hot when they finally go home late last night. they turned out pretty good.

I tweaked this recipe, as I always do..those who know me, know that I never follow directions (my high school teachers would testify to that lol).

I got this recipe from a Taste of Home email, so I thought I would include it here, in tact, so that you could make it the way it was meant to be or make it your own.


I switched up the peppers and made it with HOT peppers from my garden. I like spicy in anything and everything...so do it your way, but my way is HOT. I think they turned out pretty good..but I will definitely tweak this some more. I have a really good PA Dutch recipe book on ALL things corn so I am sure I can find a few recipes in there to take bits and pieces from.



This took no time to make. Very little mess. I am out of grapeseed oil, and have to get to the Mennonite store to get more,cheapest place around for a bigggg can of it. That is my oil of choice to fry...second is avocado oil..pricey! I was out of Canola oil too and well, I do not fry things in Olive Oil...that's just not right! lol. So I used LARD...Paula Deen would be so proud of me! lol. I told you I was hungry for junk food, I didn't say I was eating healthy!
Of course, I didn't measure either...just eyed it up, looks like 1¼cups to me, because that is how I measure. I am too lazy to wash measuring cups and spoons unless I am baking. I know, I said that before. YAWN.
Here's a pic of it on my plate with my fork just to show ya the size I made them.

This picture above their recipe is THEIR fritters...notice mine are smaller (and theirs too perfectly uniform in size..hey, I was not playing food stylist, or photographer, I was hungry okay?..I wanted mine more of a Corn Nugget like corn fritter, as the picture at the top of the page shows. I like my corn fritters pancakey when I am in a pancake mood and when I am in a mood for junky fried food...I like them small and crispier.
*****************************************************


Peppered Corn Fritters
Cumin complements the corn and peppers in these fritters Precious Owens, Elizabethtown, Kentucky, shares.

Taste of Home
SERVINGS: 4-5
CATEGORY: Side Dish
METHOD:
TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min.
Ingredients:
1-1/4 cups fresh or frozen corn, thawed
1 cup finely chopped sweet red pepper
1 cup finely chopped green onions
1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 cup milk
Oil for deep-fat frying
Directions:
In a large bowl, combine the corn, red pepper and onions. In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, cumin, salt and pepper; stir into corn mixture. Gradually add milk, stirring until blended. In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat 1/4 in. of oil to 375°. Drop batter by 1/4 cupfuls, a few at a time, into hot oil. Fry until golden brown, about 2 to 2-1/2 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels. Yield: 13-14 fritters.


************************************************************************
I sat munching on them in front of the TV watching the US open, happy about Miss William's win (that should be plural, they both won, but I only caught the Venus match), but not too happy about Nadal beating out Keifer..only because I thought Keifer was so good looking lol. It was a win win though, watching two hot men battle it out for three hours on the tennis court! They were playing in Flushing, NY and it was past midnight when the match ended..I was tired just sitting on my sofa while watching them lol.





You go girl, I could watch the William's sisters play tennis all night.


Nicolas Keifer (Germany)..very nice eye candy!
Check out that brace on his knee..never saw anything like it.


And of course, the winner in the Keifer/Nadal match...
Rafael Nadal
Oh, one last note...Will Farrell was in the stands..funny, during the one play, someone yelled something hard to understand and it included Will Farrell's name...Nadal bounced his ball a few extra times to regain his composure as the crowd laughed.

1 comment:

That's my story and I'm sticking to it, at least for now. said...

Hubby told me he took one out of the frige and ate one late last night cold and it was so good cold too. He said they would sell like hot cakes at the pepper fest. I will surely make more.