Friday, August 12, 2011

Cowboy Stew : My version of Tortilla Soup




Pin It





We have a huge Halloween Party almost every year and soup is one of the things I always make for the party.  It's chilly at night and soup warms the soul.  I threw this together one year, and everyone raved about it. I still get requests for it all of the time.  My daughter just came to town and said she missed it, so I sent her home with a jar of it.  It's super easy to make, and you can modify this with using either canned beans or pressure cook your own.  Canned are faster and they don't change the taste just remember to rinse them of that slimy stuff they get from being in the can.
  I also add pork to this at times. A piece of a pork shoulder,cooked and shredded makes a nice addition. Really, you can omit or submit almost anything into this. I have made a small batch in my pressure cooker and its great but normally this is a gigantic stock pot recipe because it goes fast.


My Cowboy Stew

3 (32 oz)  boxes chicken broth 
4 chicken quarters ( or really any meat, pork leftovers etc)
2 cans garbanzo beans
2 cans kidney beans
2 cans black beans
2 cans corn
mushrooms
1 large onion
celery
jalapeno pepper or two (if you like)
 water (you want it soupy, add it early so you get the flavors) 
2 packs George Washington seasoning (chicken bullion)
2 t chili spice
4 T garlic garlic (freeze dried garlic)
2 packs taco seasoning
2 T Cajun spice
1 t cinnamon
1 t curry powder
4 oz crumbles gorgonzola cheese or feta
few turns of the peppermill
Tortilla chips
Sour cream
Avocado (add it near serving time diced up)

You can add more or less ingredients, pretty much things I have in my pantry is all I use. Potatoes etc.  

Put chicken broth in a big pot and turn burner on medium.  Add water and George Washington Seasoning (bullion).  Add all spices and taco packets, onion and celery.

Put chicken in the water and bring to low boil and cook until done.  Remove, debone and cut up small, and throw it back in.  Add mushrooms, beans (drained and rinsed) and corn (drained) and cheese.

Serve in a bowl with broken up tortilla chips and if you like, a dollop of sour cream.
Can also serve over rice if you wish.

2 comments:

Tom said...

Thanks Margarita I love this recipe.
I live with a couple of guys and we can't get enough of this dish. Cheers

That's my story and I'm sticking to it, at least for now. said...

Thanks Tom, my family and friends love it and its so easy to whip up! Great for fall, glad you enjoyed it!