Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Fish Tacos...the lazy, no cooking way

Pin It


My kids eat tuna and salmon right from the pouches they come in..they tear into the packet, and stick a fork right down in and eat it.

I decided to doctor it up for them...added sour cream (instead of mayo for a chicken salad type of consistency)...add some taco seasoning (Yeah, this crap I bought has MSG in it, so I have to mix my own next time) and olive oil (had to sneak in more omega 3s). Homemade Taco Seasoning Recipe is below.

Mix it up, spread it on a tortilla, add shredded cheddar cheese and "rabbit food" to your liking..and roll it up. Stick it in the frige for an hour to get it nice and cold and help keep its shape, and then get out and slice up into two's or threes or even bit sized one inch slices. Serve it with salsa or hot sauce on the side and maybe some guacamole or just plain old avocados!!

These packets are great for camping and snacking late nights...I know they have color added (well the Salmon does)..but at least my kids are eating that and not some junky potato chips..you have to pick your battles around here! Semi-nutritious is better than junk.

Quick tip on the shredded cheese..cheddar, mozzarella, etc...keep it in the freezer..you can use it right out of the freezer and it stays fresh for ages! I do this also with grated and whole Parmesan cheese, and also with whole ginger root..you can grate it and put the root back in the freezer for later use.
The guy who owns Salino's, the italian market I like to go to, told me that...he's a doll! He is always right there to wait on me...I never have to wait. When I get treated special at a store or restaurant, you can bet I will give them a Kudos!

Taco Seasoning
3/4 cup dried minced onion
1/4 cup salt
1/4 cup chili powder
1 Tbsp. dried oregano
2 Tbsp. each cornstarch, crushed dried red pepper
dried minced garlic, ground cumin
Combine all ingredients and seal in ziploc or vacuum seal bag (or jar).
To Use: 2 T Mix, 1/2 c. water & 1 lb ground beef, simmer altogether.
Add 2 Tbsp. dry mix to 1 lb. ground beef and 1/2 cup water.
Heat through.

No comments: