Thursday, July 4, 2013

Easy Refreshing Summer Salad

This is so refreshing at a picnic on a hot day, easy to prepare ahead, healthy, and so delicious.  You can make it as spicy or not spicy as you want.  We like it with 4 jalapenos, seeds and all. You can add almost anything you have on hand from the garden.
Summer Salad

1-2 bags frozen corn (depends how far you wanna make it go)
2 green peppers (chopped)
1 onion chopped
hot peppers (to liking) chopped (we like the seeds and all)
1 can garbanzo or black  beans
1 can kidney beans
4 cloves garlic (chopped)
6 mini english cucumbers sliced and diced

4 diced tomatoes

3 T red wine or balsamic or white vinegar
4 T peanut oil (coconut will harden and I hate olive oil, use what you want)
Seasoning, (rosemary, basil, marjoram, or whatever ya like)
salt and pepper to taste
mix all ingredients together and let set in refrigerator for a few hours.
This is so refreshing, and healthy. You can add anything you want to it from the garden. I never thought corn would taste good cold, but I can’t eat enough of it in the summer! I love it. I just call it summer salad. Matter of fact, I am going to run to the grocery store right now and get some ingredients to make this, until my garden grows.
 I also love it with a fresh fennel bulb diced  up and  thrown in it


A double batch makes about 5 qts.


No comments: