Saturday, July 25, 2009

Chicken Pot Pie is in a POT..it's NOT a pie!

Pin It



I always laugh when I see someone, even famous chef's, making what they call Chicken Pot Pie, in a pie plate....its not a pie...that is chicken pie!!!!! The PA Dutch also made Chicken Pies, but they did not call these Pot pie. It honestly drives me insane sometimes.

The Pennsylvania Dutch originated this recipe and its in a POT !!!!!! Hence the name, POT pie...its the pie dough, but boiled in the soup. I am Pennsylvania Dutch, and I hail from Pennsylvania too. Please, get it right people! LOL


I make these in a ziploc bag now because I am lazy, and there is little clean up.

Make a chicken soup and when its done, add these and cook an extra 10 min.



Pot Pie Dough

In a ziploc baggie:
Add 2 c flour
½ t salt
1t baking powder
2T lard
seal bag and mush


reopen bag and add:
1 egg
1/3 c water or milk

reseal and mush, kneading through the bag.


I triple this for a huge stockpot

Add to chicken stew 10 min before serving.

1 comment:

Jim Landis said...

Way to set the record straight! Only the Pennsylvania Dutch can make this dish right. I grew up on chicken corn soup, which is just as good.

Jim
http://lancastercountyvacations.com