Sunday, February 9, 2014

Gimmick or good thing? Stone wave Cooker












I worked 10 hours today. I come home and made a wise crack to my teenagers about the fact that no one made dinner. Then I asked what they ate today.

"Nothing". 

Really? 

 Not for lack of skill or food. My pantry is well stocked and my son is a culinary arts student in his third year. Just typical teenage boys awaiting mom to make something. They know I hate dishes in the sink when I come home so they just don't make any dishes. I know, I was a teenager, last century, literally. 

I ran out for Stromboli and stopped at cvs and they had this "as seen on tv" stonewave microwave cooker. I know what your thinking. Microwaved food sucks. I agree. I mainly use mine to reheat coffee or melt butter  But if my lazy boys will eat something homemade but conveniently easy,  (even in the evil "nuker") I'll give it a shot. 

The thing that caught my eye was the fact that it poaches eggs. I love poached eggs on spinach. 


There is a recipe book with it, and the foods are all whole foods. I don't need a lecture about the fact that the microwave is evil, I'm aware but our  food is organic and fresh, better than them making ramen, yuck! I can't stand the smell of it. 

Okay here is my review:

This banana dessert is delicious. I was able to also make it in a glass microwave dish with a glass lid with similar results. 

This too was very delicious and also could be made in just a glass microwavable dish with a glass lid. 


This seemed to do a little bit better than the glass microwave dish with the glass lid probably because the steam vent. 

One last thing.
 I cubed a sweet potato added  2 tablespoons of butter, some pecans, 1 tablespoon of brown sugar and a dash of cinnamon. I nuked it for 3 minutes let it rest a minute and it was a delicious dessert like side dish. Would be great with a  steak.   

All in all I'd say this is a useful  little contraption and I plan to buy a second one to have 2 around.  
 You can use the recipes from 250 BEST MEALS IN A MUG cookbook.  It holds the same amount and has a great outcome. 

 

1 comment:

BeachDude said...

I found that you can't really leave the poached egg in the Stone Wave after the second nuke cycle. It continues to cook, due to the residual heat of the pot, and it will quickly become a hard cooked egg.