Thursday, November 4, 2010

Un-Stuffed Pepper Soup


We just picked our last batch of peppers from the garden and diced and froze as many as we could.  Now I am scrambling to use them up before they go bad.

We love stuffed peppers but my family is never home at the same time for dinner ever (sad huh?) and I am lazy so making stuffed peppers into a soup just makes sense.  It's just as good and fast to make.

This CAN be made in a pot on the stove, as back in pre-historic times, before I got a pressure cooker,  I made it that way.

If you know me, I don't follow any rules for a recipe.  Here's what I added.  Add what you like, whatever you put in your stuffed peppers, sauces etc.

In my Pressure cooker:

1 lb venison (or beef )
1 lb sausage (remove casings and tear into small pieces)
1.5 jars spaghetti sauce (26 oz jars)
1 can tomatoes (28 oz can)
half jar of water
3 T dried minced garlic (about that much)
1 T dried minced onion
Rosemary blend  (recipe follows)
dash cinnamon (opt, I always use cinnamon with tomato sauce)
dash nutmeg
1 T Worcestershire sauce

Cook on meat setting for 25 mins

Add:
1.5 cups rice
cook on rice setting for 6 mins

Add:
Coarsely chopped green peppers  (not too big, not too small)

Cook on veg setting 5 mins.  Add more water if needed first.

My teenage sons had three bowls of this yesterday.  They just love it!  I love it because its fast, easy and my pressure cooker keeps it waiting for whenever my kids get home to eat.

No comments: