Sunday, February 19, 2012

Vitamix Butternut Squash Soup (vegan)


This little gadget is amazing..it will make a soup from scratch in five minutes.  I was at Wegman's the other day and the vitamix  guy made us this...came home and made it again.

Vitamix Butternut Squash Soup

In the vitamix, throw in:

four carrots
Half red onion
2 stalks celery
clove garlic
half avocado
1/2-3/4 of 20 oz package of cubed butternut 10 peppercorns
8 oz rice milk
1 T cinnamon
big squeeze blue agave (about 4 tablespoons)
1 tsp salt (tweak it out if you want)
2 cups hot water (approximately, until vitamix is almost full, just hot tap water)

Okay, this is the hard part....turn on the vitamix..and wait 5 mins...
After the five minutes, its ready to pour into mugs/bowls and piping hot.

My son's culinary class made a sauce for drizzling on top of theirs with sour cream, maple syrup and ceyenne pepper.  Also they used a sweet potato to thicken theirs, this recipe uses avocado.

Note, you can totally unveganize this. I have made this many ways.  its great with whole milk roasted red peppers, crabmeat and sauted shiitake mushrooms added at the end to give it body. I also love a fresh hot pepper in it, added during the vitamix blend.  The cinnamon and hot pepper go well together.


   


2 comments:

nurserc said...

shannon are those butternut sq cubes already cooked or were they raw ??

That's my story and I'm sticking to it, at least for now. said...

I am so sorry, I just saw this comment...they were raw. I bought them already cubed at the store...its such a time saver.