Saturday, May 2, 2009

Make your own Hummingbird Nectar

This is the hummingbird at my house at dusk..it was getting really dark, I never expected to see one this late. In these pictures I used the nectar that came with my new feeder, hence the red color, but I make my own nectar easily with sugar and water and no color.











The hummingbirds at my house fight over the three feeders we have. Its quite enjoyable to watch them fighting, it resembles a quiddich match like in the movie Harry Potter. I see them mostly in the mornings and early afternoon, and then in the early evening, up until a bit past dusk. I don't see them during the hot times of the day, I guess they are smart and stay in shady locations when the temperature soars.


Here is a recipe to make your own nectar, we make our own every year. It does not need to be red...we have alot of activity at our feeds with just clear nectar. Its super fast to make, and very inexpensive!

Hummingbird Nectar Recipe

Directions for making safe hummingbird food:


Mix 1 part sugar (use raw sugar if you can help it) with 3 parts water and bring to a boil to kill any bacteria or mold present.
Cool and fill feeder.
Extra sugar water may be stored in a refrigerator.
Red dye should not be added.
The hummies are attracted to the red flower on your feeder, not the color of the nectar.  I love the feeders with landings because they stay longer when they can sit to eat.

All about HummingbirdsIncluding hummingbird-attracting plants, zoom pictures of a hummingbird garden, colorful pictures of tropical hummingbirds, and much more!

   

No comments: