Sunday, March 9, 2014

Homemade lotion bar




Omg this is easy. You can make one tin or 100! 
It's an "equal parts" recipe, easy to adapt to many size batches. 

I prefer my lotion bar be in a tin so it's less messy. I'm using altoid tins. I used to be addicted and have about 50 of them. I'm thinking another homemade Christmas gift, or at least Mother's Day gifts. 
I use a kitchen scale to weigh my ingredients. My coconut oil was liquefied so I zero'd it out with a shot glass on it for measuring. 

In a glass canning jar add

Equal parts:
Coconut oil
Bees wax 
Cocoa butter

For one Altoid  can, I used a half ounce of each  (adjust the coconut oil and beeswax is it's too hard or if it's liquids, equal ratios came out great for me) 
I put it in my cosmetic canning jar that I use specifically for making cosmetics so as not to have rose scented food. 

I microwaved it 30 seconds, then in 15-20 second intervals

A little more. 

That's better.  Now that it's all melted add 5 to 10 drops of your favorite essential oils in any combination. 

I used 6 drops orange eo and 3 drops clove eo. 

Pour into tin and let set up. 
I put it in the refrigerator and it set up in 3 to 5 minutes. 

I got so excited I already swiped my fingers crossed it to use some. 

I think I might make one in a mold to use as a lotion bar to try next time. This ratio was not too soft so it should come out great and not be mushy. 
I have some  fun candy molds I never use anymore that would be cute for gifts. 

No comments: