Thursday, August 26, 2010

Polish Lasagna



I found this recipe in a Pennsylvania State Grange cookbook...let me tell ya, if you visit a fair in PA, the grange is the place to eat!  I never pass up on buying a Grange Cookbook either, I have many, cooked many recipes from them, never a bad recipe!

I make a potato lasanga that is out of this world (mashed potatoes, cheese, etc almost like a perogi) so yummo, so this struck my fancy.  (I am pretty sure my potato lasagna is on my blog here in the archives, don't forget to look at my archives if you are new to my blog, lots of goodies)

I am making this, this weekend with a pork loin...cannot wait to have it!  Simple ingredients and all yummy ones.  This may be part of my New Years Dinner from now on....we PA Dutchies always have pork and kraut for dinner on New Years Day for good luck.

Polish Lasanga

16 oz uncooked lasagna noodles
7 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
salt and pepper, to taste
1 onion, grated
8 oz longhorn cheese, shredded
2 lbs sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
1 cup melted (margarine? no way) BUTTER

(its says margarine, but this book may have been written when people thought that was better for ya than butter.  Margarine never touches my pallet)

Cook noodles using package directions, drain.  Cook potatoes in boiling water in large saucepan until tender, drain.  Add salt and pepper; beat until smooth.  Add ½ of the onion and cheese; mix well.  

Combine sauerkraut, and remaining onion in large saucepan.  Cook until tender;stirring constantly.  

Line greased 9x13-inch baking pan with noodles.  Alternate layers of potatoes, noodles and sauerkraut mixture until all ingredients are used, ending with noodles.  Drizzle with melted BUTTER. 

Bake tightly covered with foil @ 350° for 45  minutes or until hot and bubbly.

Yield: 12 servings



No comments: